The Graduate School offers admission with the expectation that students will matriculate in the semester specified during the application process. If extraordinary circumstances will prevent you from matriculating, you may submit a request to defer your enrollment for up to one calendar year.
- Deferral requests are not automatically granted and will be evaluated by the GSAS Office of Admissions.
- PhD applicants may request a deferral via the Fellowship Response Form.
- MA applicants may request a deferral only after accepting the original offer of admission and submitting the $750 tuition deposit.
The tuition deposit for the following programs is $1,500:
- MA in QMSS
- MA in Economics
The tuition deposit for the following programs is $3,500:
- MA in Biotechnology
- MA in Mathematics of Finance
- MA in Statistics
- MA in Statistics (Hybrid Online/On-Campus Program)
After the deposit is paid, a Deferral Request Form will be available on the Applicant Status Page. The deadlines for submission of the Deferral Request Form are August 15 for fall term applicants and December 30 for spring term applicants. Deferral requests will not be considered after these dates.
You will be notified about the disposition of your deferral request via email.
Please contact gsas-admissions [at] columbia.edu with any questions.